I have always been someone who enjoys being active, but this past year, I have really stepped up my fitness game. I am not one to go to the gym and work out. I get super intimidated and end up running on the treadmill for 30 minutes and calling it a day. It wasn’t until I started working out at home that I really was able to try new things and not be embarrassed because people were watching. I am the most consistent I have ever been with working out, and I don’t plan on stopping anytime soon!
Here are a couple things I’ve learned along the way that helped me turn my motivation into dedication, and what has made it stick.
- Work out first thing in the morning. No excuses. Set out your clothes the night before, set an alarm and put your phone across the room so you have to get up to turn it off, and just get it over with! Chances are, if you wait until later in the day, there will be more room for excuses and it won’t get done.
- Find a good pre-workout, make a good workout playlist, and just start. No excuses.
- Tell yourself just 5 minutes. Once you start your workout, it is SO much easier to keep going, so set small goals for yourself and go for it!
- Speaking of goals—it is SO important to have them in place. I get to lead of group of women in their fitness journeys and I have them set SMART goals— specific, measurable, attainable, relevant, time-bound. This could be something like “I will drink a gallon of water every day this week.” Or “By the end of the month, I am going to lose 5 pounds.”
- Tell someone about your goals and about your fitness journey! This isn’t something that we’re meant to do alone. Fitness is WAY more fun to do with friends!
- Give yourself grace. You’re gonna have bad days. There are gonna be times when you go out for ice cream or a treat with some friends. Remember, this is about creating a healthy lifestyle! Life happens. Don’t beat yourself up.
This isn’t meant to be easy. There are going to be good days and bad days. Just take it one day at a time. One goal at a time. You’ve got this!!